Stairways & Ladders – Construction*
Ladder Selection Guidelines
- Learn about the importance of selecting the correct ladder for the job.
- Understanding the potential hazards in your work area
- Choosing the correct duty rating
- Determining the maximum working height
- Considering the ladder’s ability to conduct electricity
Inspection & Maintenance
- Learn how to properly care for and store your ladder to obtain many years of use.
- Inspection guidelines
- Proper care, storage and transportation of ladders
Setting Up a Ladder
- Learn how to properly set up your ladder.
- Potential hazards to be aware of
- How to properly set-up a ladder
- The proper placement of a ladder
- How to secure the ladder
- What to do if using a ladder on an incline or uneven surface
Safe Work Practices
- Learn proper techniques to use while on a ladder to prevent potential injuries from happening.
- How to maintain three points of contact
- The proper way to reposition a ladder
- Techniques for safe climbing
- When fall protection is required
- Learn about specific requirements for temporary job-made ladders and stairways, including the correct materials to use, proper components and dimensions, and methods of construction